Facetime video calling technology launched by Apple is one of the gaudy features of the iOS. In the year 2011 in February, Apple launched Facetime App for Windows Phone and Mac OS, permitting users to make video calls between Mac running Facetime and any iOS device.
Unfortunately for Windows customers, there is no option to use Facetime app for Windows phone. There are many applications that support video chatting and video calling on both Windows phone and other devices of Windows, but there is no official Facetime application for Windows software that has been released by Apple.
Facetime App for Windows Phone Download:
Is Facetime an open standard compatible for all devices?
In the year 2010, when the company launched Facetime at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference, then the CEO of Apple said that they were going to the standards bodies, beginning tomorrow, and they were going to make Facetime an open standard industry. This plan would have meant that anyone will be able to make software that is adaptable with Facetime.
This would have opened the way outs for other developers making all sorts of Facetime compatible applications, including those that run on Windows (phones and other devices) and, apparently, more platforms, like Android.
From then, though, there has been very few discussion of creating Facetime an open standard. But it is seen that Apple has not done that yet and that it may see Facetime as an application that is unique to the Apple iOS in a world of much video-calling software, it seems expected that Facetime will never able tobe a cross-platform standard.
This means that there is no way for anyone using Windows phone to make a Facetime video call to someone using an Apple iOS device via the Facetime application or for someone on an Apple iOS device to make a video call to a Windows phone user with Facetime app.
Substitutes for Facetime on Windows Phone:
Even though Facetime does not run on Windows phone, there is some other software that offers similar specifications and that run across other operating systems. If you want to do video calls using Windows phone, Android devices, Mac OS X, or iOS, then install any of this software:
- Glide – Glide has an interesting twist on video calling. Not only, can you use it to talk to friends via video, but you can also record brief video clips and send them to friends to watch for the later It also adds the ability to open a group chat with up to fifty people and to send texts and you have got a compelling application. It runs on Android, Apple iOS, and Windows phones.
- iMovicha – This is a free video chat application for Apple iOS, Windows phone, Android devices, Mac OS X, and Windows PC. Like Facetime, iMovicha runs over 4G LTE and 3G cellular data networks, and not just Wi-Fi internet.
- Skype – This is one of the most well-known, and most widely used, video chat applications. Microsoft Skype runs on Mac OS X, Apple iOS, Windows phone, Android devices, Linux, and other various platforms. This software and some uses of it are free. Adding additional features may range in cost from US$0.01per minute for some calls to $8.99 per month for some plans.
- ooVoo – This is another video chat application that runs on all the dominant smartphone platforms: Android, Apple iOS, and Windows phone. Therefore, if you have a friend with a smartphone, there is a fair chance they can make run ooVoo app.
- Viber – Viber supposes to have over five-hundred million users over the world, therefore if you wish to connect with someone internationally, it can be a good bet. It does not have advertisements and supports quite many languages.
- WeChat – Another application for Windows phone that also has Android and Apple iOS versions making communication very easy. WeChat is a huge demand in China, therefore if you communicate with people there, this can be a good choice.
- Yahoo Messenger – Another chat software with video calling features. The free Yahoo Messenger app offers video chat option to Windows phone and Mac OS X users.
- Facebook Messenger – The chatting feature is amazing, photo and link sharing technique are flawless and quality of video chat is fabulous. One good thing is that it synchronise the contact list directly from the friend list on your Facebook account so that everyone you know gets already added.
So Windows phone have quite a lot options as replacements for the Facetime app. They are easy to download and install.